Regular visitors are bound to notice the difference when they attend the regular First Friday arts mixer. It’ll have a bigger, back-to-school energy about it.
A Creative Arts Studio, home base for the monthly fine arts stroll in downtown Denton, will have refreshments, activities and an opening for a fall show that starts Friday.
Artist Trey Wright is the featured artist in the gallery. The Denton artist earned his bachelor’s degree in art from the University of North Texas. He’s had art in shows in Philadelphia, Portland, Denver and Dallas.
UNT jazz percussion student Sam Friedland will lead Friendship Venture in the arts mixer’s music at A Creative Art Studio. The group performs mostly jazz and conceptual music and will perform original music at the event.
A Creative Art Studio will be open or the mixer from 7 to 11 p.m. Friday. The local business is located at 227 W. Oak St. off the Square.
Just down the street and around the corner, UNT on the Square will also be open for the arts mixer. Mixer attendees can view “Cloth Talks,” an exhibition of textiles from the adinkra and kente traditions of Ghana. At 7 p.m., the gallery will present a free performance by members of the UNT African Percussion Ensemble, led by master drummer Gideon Alorwoyie.
UNT on the Square is located at 109 N. Elm St.
Attendees can check out Oxide Gallery in its new location at 211 N. Cedar St. The downtown gallery recently moved from its original spot at 501 W. Hickory St. and reopened its new space downtown. The gallery will have extended hours on Friday for the mixer.
The following businesses are also among those participating in the mixer:
• Denton Square Donuts, 208 W. Oak St., will be open until 11 p.m. The shop is also home to the brand-new Imagine Gallery.
• Circa 77 Vintage, 225 W. Oak St., will be open until 8 p.m.
• Howe Unique, 221 W. Oak St., will be open through 9 p.m.
• Banter Bistro, 219, W. Oak St., will have jazz with Seth Walker from 6 to 8 p.m. and then Contingency Clause from 8 to 10 p.m.
• SCRAP Denton, 215 W. Oak St., will have special sales, door prizes and a mini art project going from 7 to 9 p.m. as well as a sampling of Armadillo Ale Works and live music by R.C. and Friends.
— Lucinda Breeding
ON THE WEB
First Friday Denton: http://firstfridaydenton.com