Fans of speculative fiction — a broad term that covers the genres of science fiction, fantasy, horror and more — will gather Sunday for a fan convention in Lewisville.
Helio-Con is hosted by the League of Extraordinary Jews, a speculative fiction fan club based at Congregation Kol Ami in Flower Mound — although the all-ages event is not religious in nature. The event will be from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Medical Center of Lewisville Grand Theatre, 100 N. Charles St.
Helio-Con will bring artists, bloggers and writers together under one roof. Guests include:
• Felix Silla, stuntman and actor
• Jan Michael Friedman, science fiction and comics author
• Rachel Caine, fantasy novelist
• Sonny Strait, comics artist/author and anime voice actor
• Steve Erwin, comics artist
• Lewis Lovhaug, fandom blogger and commentator
• Kristin McGuire, comics artist and anime voice actor
• Weldon Adams, comics editor and historian
Helio-Con includes an exhibition hall for dealers, businesses and artists. The convention also hosts a gaming miniatures “paint and take” sponsored by Reaper Miniatures, a tabletop game room with demonstrations and competitions sponsored by Roll2Play, costume contests and a green-screen photography booth. In addition, Delete Blood Cancer will have a bone marrow registration drive at the convention.
Tickets cost $15 for adults, $10 for students with ID, $5 for children. The convention is a fundraiser, and proceeds will go to Habitat for Humanity and to support the synagogue.
For more information, visit www.helio-con.com .
— Staff report