Race, festival to promote animal welfare in Denton
Could it be that man’s best friend makes it easier to cross that finish line after a fun run?
Check out Denton Animal Shelter Foundation’s Tails & Trails, a half-day fun run and festival on Saturday at the North Texas State Fairgrounds. If your dog isn’t used to running, you can take him on the one-mile walk. More conditioned dogs can join their people in the 5K and 10K runs.
After the races, it’s a day of fun for dogs and anyone who loves them.
The race and festival is a fundraiser for the local foundation, which has been working steadily toward the construction of a new animal shelter and promotes animal welfare in the Denton area through education programs, animal adoption and fundraising. The organization maintains a Facebook page on which it posts photos and information about animals available for adoption in the current animal shelter.
Saturday’s event is for the whole family. Television personality and musician Eddie Coker will entertain children, and local dog trainers will demonstrate obedience techniques.
Local vendors will provide everything from information to goods and services aimed at pets. Vendors will also sell concessions.
— Lucinda Breeding
TAILS & TRAILS
• What: a one-mile walk, a 5K and 10K race and a festival for people and their pets
• When: 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturday
• Where: North Texas State Fairgrounds, 2217 N. Carroll Blvd.
• Details: 10K race registration costs $40 per person, or $35 for students with ID; 5K race registration costs $30 per person, or $25 for students with ID; 1-mile race registration costs $30 per person, or $25 for students with ID. Online registration is closed, but runners and walkers can register on site at 6:30 a.m. on race day.
• On the Web: www.tailstrails.com
6:30 a.m. — Run/walk registration opens
7:30 a.m. — 10K starts; vendor booths open; Mobile Music DJ starts spinning tunes; and Doggie Salon and Pet Photos open
7:45 a.m. — 5K starts
8 to 11a.m. — Low-cost pet vaccinations and microchipping by Denton Vet Center
8:30 a.m. — Awards and prizes announced
8:55 a.m. — Blessing of the pets
9 a.m. — 1-Mile Pet Walk starts
9 to 9:45 a.m. — Individual pet blessings
9 to 9:45 a.m. — Officer Russ Weier and K-9 demonstration with police dog Gino
9:30 a.m. — Live performance by Eddie Coker
10:30 a.m. — Pet and owner Halloween costume contest with prizes
11:15 a.m. — Parade of Shelter Dogs
11:40 a.m. — Raffle drawing and winners announced