As the result of a light case of smallpox at the College of Industrial Arts, the entire student body, more than 600 young ladies, are being vaccinated today for the prevention of an epidemic of smallpox.
100 years ago: Constable W. G. Starr and Squire E. C. Barton frustrated the burglary of the Russell & Co.’s Dry Goods at Pilot Point Saturday night after the burglars had loaded about $300 worth of goods and were apparently in the store making their final selections before making their get-away.
100 Years Ago: The Denton County National Bank moved into its new quarters Wednesday night and now occupies what is declared to be one of the handsomest Bank buildings in the state. The removal was effected with little difficulty, everything in the fixtures being new and necessitating the moving only of the valuable papers, bank supplies and the like.
Scarlet fever disposed of in town — Denton’s City Health Officer, Dr. Piner, reports that the last case of scarlet fever has been disposed of by recovery and fumigation of the premises. Except for an epidemic of whooping cough in the North and West Side schools, and a few cases of mumps, the town is in good condition as regards general health.
A milestone: This month marks the 100th anniversary of this Denton Record-Chronicle feature that looks at past articles from the paper. The first look back at earlier stories began on May 20, 1913, in an article titled “Some Early Day History of Denton County” featuring stories from 19 years before. The occasional column became a daily fixture called “19 Years Ago” by the 1920s; it evolved into “Denton Yesteryear” in the late 1940s, with the title shortened to “Yesteryear” in the 1950s. We hope you continue to enjoy these little excursions into the past to see how much — or how little — things have changed.