Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Blotter: Water main leaks at TWU leave some nearby residents without running water

Apartment dwellers and other residents near the Texas Woman's University campus didn't have running water throughout the morning and early afternoon Friday as city crews repaired two water main leaks. 

According to city of Denton spokeswoman Jessica Rogers, a resident first reported late Thursday a large pool of water was gathering at Bell Avenue and College Street. Workers shut off the water for the area about 1 a.m. Friday while they searched for the source of the leak.  

Rogers said three buildings were affected on the TWU campus, as well as an apartment complex and several homes between Vine and Frame streets. At the time, city communications staff let nearby residents know about the repairs, she said. 

Rogers said they found the leak about 10 a.m. During the repair process, they found a second leak about 20 feet away, she said. Both leaks were repaired by 3 p.m. 

"The cause of this leak is unknown, but the large temperature differentials have caused an increased number of leaks recently," she said in an email. 

Other reports 

3500 block of East McKinney Street — A Denton man was arrested on assault charges Thursday after police said he slapped his fiancee and put his hands around her throat at their apartment, according to police Denton police spokesman Shane Kizer. 

Tommy Harris, 30, was taken to Denton City Jail on charges of assault family violence and interference with an emergency call. His bail totaled $7,000 for both charges. 

Kizer said the couple, who recently got engaged, were arguing about feeding their three young children at the Rosemont At Pecan Creek apartments. 

The fight eventually turned physical, and the 27-year-old woman  said the man slapped her with an open hand in a bedroom. When she tried to leave the room, the man pushed her on her back and put his hands around her throat, the police report said.  

Kizer said he applied "light" pressure around her throat and never cut off her breathing. The woman later called police, but the man threw the phone charger across the room during the call, causing the phone to shut off. 

Police arrived on the scene about 9 p.m. before arresting the man. 

2700 block of West University Drive — A 58-year-old homeless man ignored numerous pleas for him to leave a bank in the Rayzor Ranch Marketplace on Thursday before he was arrested on trespassing charges, police said. 

A First United Bank employee called police with a detailed description of the man, saying they wanted him to leave the property. According to the police report, employees asked the man to leave multiple times and issued verbal and written notices. 

When he continued to stay on the property, police arrested him on a criminal trespassing charge. He also was charged with failure to identify. 


From 7 a.m. Thursday to 7 a.m. Friday:

The Denton County Sheriff's Office handled 930 service and officer-initiated calls for the agencies it serves, and 44 people were booked into Denton County Jail.

Denton police handled 148 calls for service and made 11 arrests.

Denton firefighters handled 26 medical calls, two vehicle crashes and one grass fire.