PROVIDENCE VILLAGE — By Wednesday, Cedar Lake Drive was quiet again.
The beeping noise that tormented Leah Friedrich, owner of a home next to a vacant property at 10125 Cedar Lake, for more than 87 hours was finally gone.
Friedrich and other homeowners heard a smoke alarm making noise from the vacant property from 3:30 a.m. Saturday until 6:45 p.m. Tuesday.
“I’m so glad it is over,” Friedrich said.
Friedrich, a stay-at-home mom with two young children and an aspiring cookie business owner, said the “awful noise” kept her not only from sleeping, but from doing things around her home. It was irritating her and her husband, Adam.
“I could hear it everywhere — from the kitchen to other rooms throughout the house,” she said.
Leah Friedrich said her family was the only one affected by the noise. Her closest neighbors on one side are hearing-impaired, and her neighbors on the other side were out of town over the weekend. Other neighbors two doors down from the Friedrichs tried to reach the real estate office listing the house and left messages to get someone to help them, she said.
So after calling the local fire department, the real estate agent of the listed home and the sheriff’s office over a span of more than 72 hours — leaving messages and getting different information about who could or could not turn the alarm off — Leah Friedrich did the next best thing.
“A friend suggested calling the news,” she said.
Leah Friedrich called WFAA-TV (Channel 8).
The story appeared on its 6 p.m. Tuesday broadcast, and within 15 to 20 minutes of the story airing, workers were seen at the home replacing the alarm’s batteries.
“I did not know what else I could do,” she said. “But thank God they helped.”
Denton Central Appraisal District records show the property at 10125 Cedar Lake Drive is bank-owned with a 2012 appraised value of $104,876.
Built in 2003, the one-story, 1,273-square-foot home has three bedrooms and two bathrooms.
The home is listed by Seeto Realty for $89,000.
It was listed for sale Aug. 2 but the listing was removed 26 days later, according to Zillow.com.
A call to the real estate agent managing the property for Seeto Realty was not returned.
Leah Friedrich said another home on her street had a similar problem five months ago. The owners were overseas, but they there were able to reach their emergency contact and get the smoke alarm turned off.
KARINA RAMIREZ can be reached at 940-566-6878. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org .