Today is the last day for voters to cast early ballots in the Nov. 5 state constitutional amendment election.
Election officials are hopeful the positive start of the early voting period continues.
“To date we have had 9,654 vote countywide, including 2,720 that have voted in the area covered by Denton ISD,” said Frank Phillips, county elections administrator. “That translates into a little over 2.5 percent of eligible voters.”
Other than the constitutional amendments, 11 jurisdictions have some kind of measure on the ballot, including the Denton school district bond election, Lewisville’s local-option election for the legal sale of all alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption and Carrollton’s bond election.
The city of Krum will try for a second time to get bonds passed to allow for the construction of a new fire station and a public works building
Flower Mound has a $16 million bond item before voters. If approved, the proposition would create a River Walk Public Improvement District, and the bond will be used to pay for the district’s improvements.
Bartonville seeks to fill two of its Town Council positions in November. Two residents have applied for each spot: Randy Van Alstine and Jeff Traylor are seeking Place 1, while Richard Yerxa and Gary A. Marco filed for Place 4.
Hickory Creek has two items on the ballot, one to legalize the sale of mixed beverages in restaurants and the other would reauthorize the town’s local sales and use tax at the rate of one-fourth of 1 percent to continue providing revenue for maintenance and repair of streets.
“If historical voting patterns hold true, we will be looking at an overall turnout between 4 and 6 percent,” Phillips said. “While still a low turnout, statistically, it's significantly higher than the 2.99 percent turnout of 2011.”
Voters can vote at any precinct during early voting. Election Day is Tuesday and voters will only be able to vote in their assigned precincts.
For more information as well as voter identification law requirements, visit www.votedenton.com.
BJ LEWIS can be reached at 940-566-6875 and via Twitter at @BjlewisDRC.
Early voting locations
Election day is Tuesday. Today is the final day of early voting. During early voting, Denton County voters can cast their ballots at any polling location. The following locations are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today.
* Denton County Elections Administration, 701 Kimberly Drive off Loop 288
* Bartonville Town Hall, 1941 E. Jeter Road
* Carrollton Public Library, 4220 N. Josey Lane
* Copeland Government Building, 1400 FM424, Cross Roads
* First Baptist Church of Sanger, 708 S. Fifth St.
* Flower Mound Police and Municipal Court Building, 4150 Kirkpatrick Lane
* Frisco Fire Station No. 6, 3535 Eldorado Parkway
* Hickory Creek Town Hall, 1075 Ronald Reagan Ave.
* Justin Municipal Complex, 415 N. College St.
* Krum ISD Administration Building, 1200 Bobcat Blvd.
* Lewisville Muncipal Annex, 1197 W. Main St.
* Pilot Point ISD Administration Building, 829 S. Harrison St.
* Trophy Club Svore Muncipal Building, 100 Municipal Drive
* The Colony Government Center, 6301 Main St.
For more information: Call the Denton County Elections Office at 940-349-3200 or visit www.votedenton.com.