The Stonewall Democrats of Denton County will conduct a candidates’ forum today in Lewisville for the six local Democratic candidates and a statewide candidate for U.S. Senate.
The forum will begin at 7 p.m. at the Landmark Grill, 1297 Justin Road, which is also FM407, in Lewisville. Several candidates will be arriving early for dinner and social time.
The organization says on its website that it works to elect Democrats who support lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues.
None of the local Democratic candidates is facing a challenger in the March 4 primary election but each will face a Republican in the November general election.
All of the local Democratic candidates have indicated they plan to attend the forum. Those candidates and their opponents in November are:
• Patrick McGehearty of Lewisville, who will face Republican U.S. Rep. Kenny Marchant of Carrollton for the District 24 congressional seat.
• Daniel Moran of Flower Mound, who is challenging incumbent Republican state Rep. Tan Parker of Flower Mound for Texas House District 63.
• Emy Lyons of Denton, who is running for the Texas House District 64 seat now held by Republican state Rep. Myra Crownover of Denton.
Crownover is facing Republican challenger Read King in the March GOP primary election.
• Alex Mendoza of Lewisville, who is challenging Republican state Rep. Ron Simmons of Carrollton for the Texas House District 65 seat.
• Lisa Osterholt, who will face Republican state Rep. Pat Fallon of Frisco for the Texas House District 106 seat.
• David Heiman of The Colony, who is challenging incumbent Republican State District Judge Margaret E. Barnes of Denton for the 367th court bench.
Also accepting the invitation to attend is Michael Fjetland of Sugar Land, who is among five Democrats running for the U.S. Senate seat now held by Republican John Cornyn.
Cornyn is facing seven challengers in the March GOP primary.
For more information about the organization, visit www.stonewalldemocratsofdentoncounty.org .