Officials recover body

Comments () A Text Size
Al Key/DRC
Capt. Richard Brooks of the Flower Mound Police Department talks to reporters Monday at the entrance to the marina at Murrell Park, where a body, believed by police to be that of Wesley Andrew Hixson, was discovered. Hixson had been missing since a Saturday mountain bike outing with friends.
1 of 3 Next Image

Flower Mound emergency officials recovered a body Monday afternoon believed to be that of a Roanoke man who went missing Saturday during a bicycle outing with friends at Grapevine Lake.

Wesley Andrew Hixson, 30, was reported missing Saturday afternoon when he was separated from his riding partner on the trails in Murrell Park near Grapevine Lake. A body believed to be his was discovered in a ravine northeast of Twin Coves Marina at 2:15 p.m. Monday.

Hixson was in a group of four mountain bikers who split into groups of two for the ride. His fellow riders told police Saturday afternoon they had lost track of Hixson and were worried he might have had suffered a head injury from a bike crash earlier that day.

The body will be transported to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office for identification and to determine the cause of death.

“We’re unable to speculate about the cause right now,” said Capt. Richard Brooks of the Flower Mound Police Department. “The autopsy should reveal [that] and should be able to determine if it was some kind of brain trauma.”

The Flower Mound police and fire departments had conducted search operations since Saturday, halting the search after dark and restarting in the morning.

Other agencies assisting in the search included Lewisville police, Texas Department of Public Safety, Denton County Sheriff’s Office, Arlington Fire Department, Mansfield Fire Department, Texas Parks and Wildlife, Grapevine Fire Department, Search One Rescue, Texas Search and Rescue and Community Emergency Response Teams from Denton County and Flower Mound, and Denton County Friends of the Family.

“We searched over 1,500 acres, and the trail itself is 22.5 miles long,” Brooks said. “It’s very densely covered, rugged terrain.”

Some parts of the park were closed during the search.

Brooks said the Arlington Fire Department released a statement on behalf of Hixson’s family, who said they did not wish to speak to the media at this time but were very appreciative of the efforts of everyone involved in the search.

Brooks offered a few reminders for people looking to visit the park in the future to try to avoid any dangers.

Make sure “that you properly hydrate and have the necessary equipment, and try to stay with another hiker or rider and have your cellphone with you,” he said.

Comments is now using Facebook Comments. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then add your comment below. Your comment is subject to Facebook's Privacy Policy and Terms of Service on data use. If you don't want your comment to appear on Facebook, uncheck the 'Post to Facebook' box. To find out more, read the FAQ .
Copyright 2011 Denton Record-Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.