Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Blotter: Report: Shots fired outside bar after confrontation

Profile image for By Peggy Heinkel-Wolfe / Staff Writer
By Peggy Heinkel-Wolfe / Staff Writer

A woman called Denton police at about 2:15 a.m. Friday to report her ex-boyfriend had pointed a gun at a friend outside a bar in the 1000 block of Avenue C.

By the time officers arrived, two shots had already been fired toward the bar, even as people were still milling about in the parking lot, according to the police report.

No injuries were reported.

The woman had worried there would be trouble earlier in the evening when she saw her ex, with whom she had a child, she told police. She stayed close to her friends to avoid a scene with him. They split up a year ago, and he doesn’t visit the baby, she said.

After the bar closed, one man, who was among those with whom the woman was socializing, told police that the woman’s ex-boyfriend asked whether he had been talking to her. When he said he had, the ex pulled a handgun from under his shirt and pointed it at the man’s face saying, “If you ever talk to her again, I’ll blow your head off,” according to the police report.

A friend of the ex-boyfriend grabbed him by the waist and pulled him into a pickup and they drove off, the man said. A few minutes later, the pickup returned and the man said he could see the ex in the window as shots rang out.

Police found one bullet casing in the street and took it into evidence.


Other reports

600 block of East Hickory Street — A woman walked into the police lobby about noon Thursday to report that someone opened a Facebook profile using her name and photo of herself, naked.

She told police she’d gotten a text from a friend who had seen the page, which was created that day and had gone out with many friend requests. The woman recognized the photo as one she had sent to her boyfriend when he was stationed in Iraq, but by the time she was ready to come to the police, the page had been taken down, according to the police report.

She called her boyfriend, who is stationed at Fort Hood, to ask whether he had shared the photo and he told her he had not.

She relayed to police that he told her he’d spent the day before with his children. While he was inside with the kids, his soon-to-be-ex-wife was outside. When he got back outside, he could tell that his ex-to-be had gone through his things in his car. Nothing was missing, but she was angry. When he asked why, she’d said he would know more tomorrow, according to the police report.

The woman said she wanted to press charges, so police advised that her boyfriend start by reporting the stolen photograph in Temple.

3900 block of Morse Street — A business employee called police Thursday morning to report a burglary Wednesday night into Thursday.

Someone had thrown a rock through a plate-glass window and taken a flat-screen computer monitor worth about $250, according to the police report.

The officer noticed a fair amount of blood at the scene.

In addition to taking possible suspect information from the business, he checked with local hospitals to see if anyone had been treated for lacerations.

3700 block of Pockrus Page Road — A woman, with the help of a friend, called police Thursday morning to report that her husband had assaulted her the night before.

Her husband had kicked her and their three children, ages 2, 3 and 4, out of the home several days before.

She came back Wednesday night because they had no place to stay. They argued for much of the evening and then, about midnight, the man decided he wanted to have sex. She refused, and he scratched her when he tried to take off her shorts, according to the police report.

He asked her, “Why did you bother coming back if you aren’t going to have sex with me?” and then began choking her, according to the report. He stopped when the children began crying.

He spent the night in the children’s room and after he left, she went to the friend’s house to call police.

Through her friend, who was translating the conversation from Spanish to English, she said her husband had assaulted her before but was afraid to call for help.

Police took photos of her injuries and made arrangements for emergency shelter for them.

12000 block of Interstate 35 — A construction company employee called sheriff’s deputies Thursday to report the theft of aluminum parts being used to build a power line for an electric company.

They estimated that someone took the materials, which were reported to be worth $93,000, sometime overnight Wednesday.



From 7 a.m. Thursday to 7 a.m. Friday:

* Denton police handled 476 service and officer-initiated calls.

* Denton County sheriff’s dispatchers handled 679 calls for the agencies they service, including 176 calls for sheriff’s deputies. Fifty-five people were booked into the county jail.

* Denton firefighters responded to 10 medical calls, two vehicle accidents without injuries, two requests for mutual aid, a rubbish fire and one request for citizen assistance. They also received two false alarms.

Argyle firefighters responded to one smoke alarm and three medical calls. They also performed one fire inspection.

Aubrey firefighters responded to five medical calls, one structure fire and two requests for help to unlock vehicles.

Krum firefighters responded to one medical call.

Lake Cities firefighters responded to five medical calls, one traffic incident, one structure fire, one request for mutual aid and one request to unlock a vehicle.

Oak Point firefighters responded to two medical calls and one structure fire.

Pilot Point firefighters responded to two medical calls and one structure fire.

Sanger firefighters responded to three medical calls and one structure fire.

PEGGY HEINKEL-WOLFE can be reached at 940-566-6881. Her e-mail address is


Denton County Crime Stoppers will pay a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest in these or other crimes. Callers will remain anonymous. Call 1-800-388-TIPS (8477). Reach the Denton police narcotics tip line at 940-565-5801.