Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Blotter: Stolen phone rings in suspect's bag

A 40-year-old shopper pretended not to hear the sounds coming from the stolen cellphone in the shopper's handbag Monday at Thrift Giant in the 1700 block of Brinker Road, according to an arrest affidavit. 

The suspect was eventually arrested on a charge of theft of property between $750 and $2,500. 

A shopper accused the suspect of stealing her gold iPhone 7, which the victim had set down briefly, according to the affidavit. 

When the victim and her boyfriend noticed the phone was missing, she called it several times. It rang before it started to go to voicemail, the affidavit said. 

The woman then used her Find My Phone mobile application to play an audible alert on the phone. They said they heard it coming from the suspect's purse. 

The suspect allegedly pretended to "not know what they were talking about," the affidavit states. 

The suspect then pulled out the phone and handed it to the victim, saying it had been found on the floor. The suspect later told police the phone had been in the handbag, to be turned in to store employees after the suspect finished shopping, according to the affidavit. 

Police talked to more witnesses and reviewed video surveillance footage before they arrested the suspect on the theft charge.  The suspect was taken to Denton City Jail. 

Other reports 

1000 block of Baldwin Street — A 19-year-old man said he heard gunshots coming from one of two SUVs following him on Baldwin Street early Monday morning, according to a police report.

The man, who was not identified in the report, said the shots were fired toward his vehicle.

When the man attempted to turn around, the suspects blocked him off with one of the vehicles, he told police. He said he had to collide with the vehicle to get by.

The victim was able to identify a suspect in one of the vehicles that followed him, but no arrests were made.

300 block of East McKinney Street — A 30-year-old Krum man lost police for a brief moment while running from officers Monday afternoon near Rick's Drive In Grocery, according to a Denton police arrest affidavit.

Authorities eventually caught up to him in a police cruiser, and Andrew Grubbs was arrested on a charge of evading arrest. He also had an outstanding warrant for a theft charge.

Denton police were initially responding to a suicidal person report from Grubbs' father. The man told police that his son was last seen walking east on Oak Street.

Police later saw Grubbs coming out of Rick's Drive In convenience store on McKinney Street. When they tried to talk to him, Grubbs walked away from the officers and eventually took off running, the report said.

A Denton police officer chased him on foot, shouting, "Stop, police," according to the affidavit. That officer lost sight of him, but another officer caught up to him in a vehicle.

Grubbs was taken to Denton City Jail.


From 7 a.m. Monday to 7 a.m. Tuesday:

The Denton County Sheriff's Office handled 853 service and officer-initiated calls for the agencies it serves, and 40 people were booked into Denton County Jail. 

Denton police handled 162 calls for service and made 16 arrests. 

Denton firefighters responded to 17 medical calls, one gas leak and one call for public service.