Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Blotter: Man sentenced to weekends in jail during hunting season

A Grayson County district judge recently ordered a man convicted of poaching to spend every weekend of hunting  season in jail for the next five years. 

John Walker Drinnon, 34, of Whitesboro, admitted to killing a 19-point, white-tail buck with a rifle in an archery-only county and while trespassing on private property, which is considered a state jail felony offense, according to game warden field notes from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. 

Drinnon received deferred adjudication with five years of probation and more than $18,000 in penalties. Beginning Saturday, he must report to the Grayson County Jail each weekend of deer season for the full term of his deferred-judgment period. 

Other reports

900 block of North Carroll Boulevard — A 51-year-old woman called police at about 5:45 p.m. Christmas Eve after her husband got drunk and pointed a gun at her, according to a police report. She fled her home before calling police and when police arrived, they found that the husband had also fled. Police took a report and the investigation is continuing. 

4500 block of Interstate 35E — Police arrested a 61-year-old woman after a report of a disturbance at WoodSpring Suites, an extended-stay hotel, at about 6 p.m. Christmas Eve. The woman was booked on a charge of criminal trespassing. Police took a report, but no further information was available.

5000 block of Teasley Lane — A woman in a medical office called police at about 7 p.m. Christmas Eve to report a man with a gun. Officers arrived to learn the man was upset, caused a disturbance and employees followed him when he turned and threatened them, according to the police report.  However, no firearm was used during the offense, according to the police report. 

2300 block of West University Drive — Someone called police at about 11:30 a.m. Christmas Eve to report a theft at an Albertsons grocery store between 1:17 a.m. and 1:22 a.m. Police filed a report of theft between $100 and $750, but did not indicate on the report what had been stolen. 


From 6 a.m. Sunday to 6 a.m. Monday, Denton police responded to 103 calls for service and made one arrest. They also filed nine reports online.