Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Burned out motor in McMath gym causes evacuation

The Denton Fire Department is responding to a fire at McMath Middle School’s gym Wednesday afternoon.

Denton fire spokesman Brad Lahart said a motor in the gym caught fire, and it did not appear to be major.

Parents were delayed in picking up their children from the school since the kids had been evacuated for safety precautions.

Denton school district spokeswoman Sharon Cox said a motor in the gymnasium burned out and caused some smoke – but no fire. The fire department was called as a precautionary measure. The McMath staff and Operations staff are still investigating the situation, Cox said.

-Staff Report