Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Man now in jail

Profile image for By Megan Gray / Staff Writer
By Megan Gray / Staff Writer

Contreras released from hospital then taken into custody after being shot

A man shot by a Denton County sheriff’s deputy Wednesday afternoon in a mobile home is out of the hospital and in jail.

Alberto Guadalupe Contreras, 19, was shot in the arm by a deputy after he allegedly resisted arrest Wednesday afternoon, said Sandi Brackeen, spokeswoman for the sheriff’s office.

A copy of the warrant shows Contreras was appearing Wednesday morning before Judge David Garcia for misdemeanor charges in County Criminal Court No. 3. Those charges included driving while intoxicated, assault, criminal mischief and having an open alcohol container.

Now two more charges have been added, Brackeen said.

Contreras now faces charges of escaping from custody and resisting arrest. The latter, said sheriff’s Sgt. Roger Griggs, has no bail. Bail on the other charges totals $7,500, Griggs said.

According to the arrest warrant, Contreras was told he was under arrest for failing to appear.

The bailiff told him to stay in the jury box and went to place another prisoner in a court holding cell.

When the bailiff returned to the court room, Contreras was gone, according to records obtained from the sheriff’s office.

After viewing surveillance video, court security advised he left the courthouse, according to the warrant.

Brackeen said that’s when the escape warrant was executed.

Later that afternoon, at about 2:45 p.m., deputies found Contreras at the Denton Falls mobile home park in the 6600 block of Grissom Road and attempted to arrest him. He resisted and the deputy fired shots, Brackeen said.

Deputies then called for an ambulance to transport Contreras to a nearby Denton hospital, she said.

Contreras’ wife, Brianda, said she was at school when her husband was to appear in court, but the home in which they picked him up belonged to her uncle.

“[My uncle] did not have any guns, and my husband didn’t have one either,” she said.

Investigators said he did not appear to have a gun on him at the time of the incident.

The deputy, whose name is being withheld for investigative purposes, is now on administrative leave, Brackeen said.

Because a deputy was involved, the Texas Rangers have taken over the investigation, she said.

The Texas Rangers said Friday afternoon that the investigation involving the shooting in Denton County is ongoing and they cannot provide further comment at this time.

MEGAN GRAY can be reached at 940-566-6885 and via Twitter at @MGrayNews.