Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Names released in recent shooting

Profile image for By Julie Fancherand and Bj Lewis
By Julie Fancherand and Bj Lewis

A former Euless Trinity star football player who was home from college for Christmas break was one of two suspects killed in a Denton home invasion robbery over the weekend, authorities said late Tuesday.

Terrence Neal Tusan, 22, who went on to play football for Howard University in Washington, D.C., and Jakobi Dmon Gipson, 18, both of Arlington, were fatally shot Sunday evening at the CastleRock at Denton apartment complex, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office.

The medical examiner listed the men’s deaths as homicides due to gunshot wounds.

Earlier Tuesday, Tusan’s mother, who said she had not heard from her son in two days, had reported him missing to Arlington police.

Donna Tusan said she last saw her son Sunday after they had watched the Dallas Cowboys football game together. She said he then left to go out with friends.

She said Tuesday that she did not know what friends he was with, or where. She said her son had been home from Howard for nearly two weeks.

“He was excited his grades were coming in,” she said before she was notified of her son’s death. “He was very happy with his grades, and we were going to do some more Christmas shopping together.”

Tusan starred at running back for Euless Trinity from 2007-10 and was named Most Valuable Player in the Trojans’ 2009 state championship game victory against Austin Westlake. He went on to play football for Howard. This season, as a redshirt junior, Tusan posted career-high marks in rushing yards (331) and total touchdowns (2).

Denton police have released few details about Sunday’s shooting — which left two victims injured — citing the ongoing investigation.

They have said that three men forced their way into an apartment in the 1500 block of Meadow Street. A 911 call at 5:38 p.m. reported gunshots. Police arrived minutes later to find two victims with with non-life-threatening injuries and two of the suspects dead. A third suspect, who might have been injured, remains at large.

Police said Tuesday they do not believe the third suspect is in Denton.

Officer Orlando Hinojosa said the suspects tried to conceal their faces during the incident but did not know how.

Gipson was shot and killed inside the apartment and Tusan was shot and killed outside. The third suspect fled the scene, police said. Police have not said who shot whom.

The victims were transported to Denton Regional Medical Center, where they were treated and released Sunday night. Hinojosa said the victims have since moved out of their apartment.

Police have not said whether the incident was drug-related. Hinojosa said officers found one handgun belonging to one of the victims and one belonging to one of the suspects at the scene.

It was not known if the victim was a legal owner of the firearm.

CastleRock at Denton, formerly the Campus Park Apartments, is home to many college students. Hinojosa said none of the victims is enrolled in either the University of North Texas or Texas Woman’s University.

Denton, which had not had a homicide all year, has had four since Dec. 13.

Bj LEWIS can be reached at 940-566-6875 and via Twitter at @BjLewisDRC.