Deon Kingston Jr., who is accused of fatally shooting a convenience store owner in The Colony in 2015, will be tried again for murder in April, according to Denton County court documents.
Judge Steve Burgess of the 158th District Court has set a jury trial for April 3. According to court documents, the trial is expected to last about two weeks.
Burgess declared a mistrial Aug. 10 in an initial jury trial in which Kingston, 20, was accused of murdering 31-year-old Denton resident Samira Siwakoti on June 10, 2015, in an alleged robbery while she worked at the Rapido Convenience Store in The Colony.
Siwakoti and her husband, Nadaraj Siwakoti co-owned the store. Nadaraj Siwakoti, who was not present at the convenience store at the time of the robbery, died just a couple days before the mistrial was declared.
A grand jury indicted Kingston on a murder charge Sept. 11, 2015. The indictment was refiled last December with changes to the original document’s language, prosecutors have said.
The court declared a mistrial last month “based upon an oral motion by the defense,” according to the mistrial decree.
Mick Meyer, Kingston’s attorney, said at the time that the court declared a mistrial after it was identified that some of “the forensic testing was not yet completed on some of the state’s evidence.”
Kingston remains in the Denton County Jail with his bail set at $1.12 million. He also faces aggravated robbery charges for a June 2015 armed robbery at the Check ’n Go in The Colony and for a May 2015 convenience store holdup in Frisco.
An application for writ of habeas corpus was filed Aug. 23, according to court documents, and seeks “relief from double jeopardy and request for a hearing.”
According to court documents, Kingston’s next court appearance is Sept. 30 for a writ of habeas corpus, which requires that a person be brought to court to determine whether his or her detainment in jail is lawful.
— Britney Tabor