Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Blotter: Man shoots himself with stolen gun

A 21-year-old man was arrested Sunday afternoon after he accidentally shot himself in the leg with a gun he was allegedly attempting to steal, according to a police report.

When police arrived in the 2000 block of Caddo Circle, they found the man lying on the ground with blood-stained pants. According to the report, officers found a revolver near a white truck with its door slightly open.

The report said the gun and truck belonged to a 70-year-old man who lived nearby. After he was taken to the hospital, the suspect told officers he was walking down the street looking through the windows of vehicles.

The man opened the unlocked door of the white truck and found the gun in a tan holster between the seats, the report said. The man picked up the gun, fumbled with it and dropped it against the side of the vehicle, he told police. The gun fired and a bullet hit him in the leg.

The man told police he staggered to a neighboring yard to lie down and called 911 because he wasn’t sure if he had been shot. He was later arrested on a charge of burglary of a vehicle and theft of a firearm, the report said.

Other reports

300 block of Eagle Drive — A 43-year-old man was arrested early Sunday morning after he told officers he knew he was criminally trespassing, a police report said.

Police were called to a local Quik Trip at approximately 3 a.m., when employees noticed a familiar man who had been asked to leave during a previous incident.

According to a police report, two employees told officers the man said he would sexually assault one of them.

400 block of Bryan Street — A local business reported its tip jar stolen Sunday evening.

Employees at Killer Tacos told police a man had taken their tip jar at about 8 p.m. No other details were provided in the report, but the business did report a previous burglary during the Christmas weekend.

3000 block of Country Club Road — A 22-year-old woman called police after she said a man stole multiple electronics from her house Sunday afternoon.

The woman told officers a man knocked on her door at about 2:50 p.m., crying because of the cold weather. She said she let him inside so he could call someone for a ride.

She said she later realized he had stolen more than $750 in electronics and her house key, the report said. No arrests have been made, but the investigation is ongoing.


From 7 a.m. Sunday to 7 a.m. Monday:

The Denton County Sheriff’s Office responded to 578 service and officer-initiated calls and booked 15 people into the Denton County Jail.

Denton police posted 16 reports online.

— Caitlyn Jones