Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Blotter: Dallas cop charged with two separate assaults on same day in Providence Village

A Dallas police officer was arrested twice on Saturday in Providence Village on two separate assault charges involving the same victim, according to police. 

Christopher HankinsDenton County Jail
Christopher Hankins
Denton County Jail

Christopher Hankins, 30, was still in the Denton County Jail on Monday afternoon on a third-degree felony charge of  assault causing bodily injury to a family or house member. He was booked earlier in the day on a separate charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, police said. 

Aubrey police said in a press release that both incidents involved the same victim, who they did not identify. Hankins now has a $101,000 bail. 

Hankins was also arrested Nov. 22, the day before Thanksgiving, on a shoplifting charge of theft between $750 and $2,500 at a Walmart in Cross Roads. 

The Northeast Police Department responded to the theft report at about 1:30 a.m. at the Walmart in the 11700 block of U.S. Highway 380, according to The Dallas Morning News. The officer had been wearing his Dallas Police Department windbreaker, The News reported, and a manager said he was in the store for about two hours. He was placed on administrative leave after that incident. 

At about 3:14 a.m. Saturday, Aubrey police were called to meet with an assault victim at a 7-Eleven in Little Elm, according to the press release. Officers then drove to an address in Providence Village, where they arrested Hankins on the aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge. 

Hankins was first booked into the Denton County Jail at 6:54 a.m., according to officials with the Denton County Sheriff's Office. He posted his $5,000 bail and was released at 2:28 p.m., officials said.  

Later, at 6:48 p.m., Aubrey police responded to a disturbance in the Providence Village Town Hall parking lot. Police said the disturbance involved Hankins and the victim from his earlier arrest. 

Hankins was again arrested, this time on a charge of assault family violence. 

Other reports

100 block of South Loop 288 — A 28-year-old man who was allegedly asking for money outside a 7-Eleven convenience store early Sunday morning was arrested on a criminal trespassing charge.

Police initially said the suspect was standing outside of the store with another man. They were holding a sign and asking for cash, according to witnesses.

Police responded at about 6 a.m. and arrested the 28-year-old. The report did not specify what happened to the other man.

1200 block of McDonald Drive — A tow truck driver reported four men for suspicious activity before police found out they had been driving a stolen vehicle.

The driver called police as he followed a red Ford Fusion with the four young men inside, according to the police report. He said they eventually ditched the car and ran behind homes near the 1200 block of McDonald Drive, the report said.

Police couldn't find the suspects in the area and couldn't reach the vehicle's owner. The vehicle was eventually towed to a city impound lot. No arrests were made.

3100 block of Breton Drive — A 44-year-old man was arrested on several warrants Sunday after police found him hiding out in his girlfriend's garage, according to a report.

The man's girlfriend initially called police at about 1:20 a.m. She said her live-in boyfriend interfered with an emergency call and drove away in her vehicle. He was intoxicated at the time, she said.

After police conducted an extensive search of the area, officers found him hiding in the woman's garage without her knowledge. The man was booked into Denton City Jail on several outstanding warrants, including driving without a license, speeding and failure to appear in court.


From 7 a.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Monday:

The Denton County Sheriff's Office handled 2,497 service and officer-initiated calls for the agencies it serves, and 117 people were booked into Denton County Jail.

Denton police handled 430 calls for service and made 41 arrests.

Denton firefighters handled 86 medical calls, two grass fires and six calls for public service.