What’s more important, convenience or the environment? This question comes up constantly in today’s society.
In Texas, people love their big pickups and SUVs. But even when driving these huge gas-guzzling machines, there are some things drivers can do to minimize their negative effects on the environment. Last month, the Texas Department of Transportation’s Drive Clean Across Texas campaign announced a sweepstakes to give away a new hybrid to emphasize the importance of this issue.
We think it is important to keep the environment in mind when making driving choices. It is true, Texas is a state heavy in ranching and industry, which often requires the use of big trucks to meet the job requirements, but there are still steps people can take to lessen their environmental impact.
According to the Drive Clean campaign’s website, there are five steps drivers can take to reduce their emissions:
1. Keep your vehicle maintained properly.
2. Drive a “cleaner” vehicle. Automotive companies are starting to make all kinds of hybrid vehicles, including SUVs and pickups.
3. Reduce idling. Skip the drive-through and plan your drive to avoid traffic.
4. Drive less. Combine your errands, instead of making multiple trips. Residents can carpool or use public transportation.
5. Drive the speed limit. The faster you drive, the more gas you burn.
These tips are a good start for drivers who want to improve their fuel economy and help protect the environment, and we encourage our readers to consider this as they go about their day-to-day lives. After all, we are the Earth’s custodians.
The world is full of natural resources we can use, but we must take responsibility and sow back into what we take out. That way, the world will still be safe for future generations.