Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Letters to the editor, May 6

Confusing fruit

My old friend Don Boozer [DRC letters April 23] seems to be confusing apples with oranges. If 10 percent of the people own 90 percent of the wealth, it is only fair if they pay 90 percent of the tax bill.

The other 90 percent of the people who own the remaining 10 percent of the wealth pay the 10 percent of the tax remaining.

As far as I know, we still tax wealth and income and not population.

Marshall Smith,


Disgraceful stench

It is a disgrace that people visiting their loved ones at the state school must drive through the nauseating stench of raw sewage that seeps into the ditch beside State School Road because the existing pump station is incapable of pumping the sewage up the hill.

It has been that way for at least a decade, probably a lot longer.

If it were up to me, the county commis­sioners and City Council would have to hold their meetings on the side of State School Road and breathe that filth until the day that it occurs to our illustrious elected officials that they could actually do something worthwhile for once, and replace that pump station with one capable of doing the job. 

Philip Reynolds,


Fulfill promise

I just bought a new car. As you would expect, gasoline mileage is not what was advertised on the window sticker. But I am not worried about miles per gallon, because Newt Gingrich promised us $2.50 a gallon gasoline. Seems, though, he had some condition tied to it like being elected president. And that seems selfish.

If Newt was really a good guy like he says he is, he would do it in any case.

Jim Stodola,