Skip to Navigation Skip to Main Content

Boys basketball: Argyle falls to familiar opponent

Profile image for By Steve Gamel / For the Denton Record-Chronicle
By Steve Gamel / For the Denton Record-Chronicle

LEWISVILLE — Wilmer-Hutchins is really starting to become a thorn in Argyle’s side.

Two years ago, the Eagles beat Wilmer-Hutchins in the regional final and used that momentum to win their first state title. Since then, Wilmer-Hutchins has been the aggressor, including its blowout win over Argyle in last year’s area round.

Friday’s Class 3A Region II area-round rematch was far from a blowout, but the result was the same as Wilmer-Hutchins took a six-point lead into the fourth quarter and hung on for a 40-37 win.

The teams were meeting for the fourth straight season in the playoffs, including 2011, when Wilmer-Hutchins essentially was Dallas A. Maceo Smith, which closed. Wilmer-Hutchins — ranked 19th in the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches poll — has won three of the four meetings.

“Coach [John] Burley does a great job with that program, and it’s one of those teams that has become a thorn in our side,” Argyle coach John King said. “We’ve had some great battles, and they are always a very tough opponent. Tonight was another great game. We just came up a bucket or two short.”

Wilmer-Hutchins (17-12) will face Dallas Madison or Carrollton Ranchview in the regional quarterfinals.

Trailing 38-35 with 31.5 seconds left, Argyle (21-8) had the ball with a chance to tie the game. But with 20 seconds to go, Chase Kammerer’s pass on the perimeter to Colton Wilkes slipped out of bounds. When Wilmer-Hutchins failed to extend its lead with the extra possession, Argyle raced down the court again, but this time turned the ball over with 10 seconds left to allow Wilmer-Hutchins to put the game out of reach.

The Eagles, who uncharacteristically struggled throughout the night with turnovers, were outscored 9-2 in the third quarter. That allowed Wilmer-Hutchins to rebound from a 24-23 Argyle lead at halftime.

Willie Hollins led Wilmer-Hutchins with 10 points. Xavier Legington, Zac Chalk and Darius Paige scored seven apiece.

Argyle was led by Shayne Priddy’s 16 points. J.C. Chalk added 11 and Kammerer finished with eight.

“We told the kids that if we kept them under 50 points we’d have a good chance,” King said. “We just didn’t capitalize with some of our easier shots early in the game, and it came down to the fourth quarter and a couple of possessions.”

The game looked like it was shifting in Argyle’s favor in the second quarter. The Eagles outscored Wilmer-Hutchins 16-9 in the frame, and their surge included four 3-pointers — two from Priddy and two from Chalk. Chalk’s second trey came with eight seconds left and gave Argyle its first lead.

Wilmer-Hutchins regained a 32-26 lead heading into the final eight minutes, but Priddy dropped in two more 3-pointers to cut the deficit to 34-32 with 4:40 left. The Eagles twice got within one point, but Wilmer-Hutchins was able to run out the clock.